Friday, November 20, 2009

Strength

Philippians 4:13
Last night my family gathered before bed and recited "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." We knew today would be a very busy day. I was reminded of that verse again as I was putting Peter in his car seat at seven o'clock this morning. I said to myself, yes, I need to apply that verse! I promptly rushed back inside to the kitchen and spilled coffee all over the counter. I got the message loud and clear. Though I had just finished saying the verse I am trying to teach my kids, I still wasn't applying it. What was my hurry? Did I not know that God will make sure that everything that needs to be done will get done? Isaiah said, "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;" (Isaiah 40:31).

Are you strong? What do you do when you come to the end of your strength? The Bible tells us that self-reliance is a trap (Jeremiah 9:23). Paul came to understand this lesson well. God knew that it would be too tempting for him to rely on his own strength. So, God touched his body with an unknown infirmity to keep him from boasting about his own power.  Paul begged God to take it away, as I'm sure I would have done. But God's response to him acts as a flashing sign to us as well. He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Let me be frank. God will not supply his strength to those who don't depend on it. The surest way to a fall is to use the word "I" too much--I did it, I will do it, I made it, I earned it, I deserve it and so on and so forth. Do you bask in the glory of a home run or a test score? Do you take a deep breath of self satisfaction at a big sale or your full balance sheet? Did you purchase your last car based on reliability or head-turnability?

Let us flip the coin for a minute before ending. All this is extremely encouraging for those who's pendulum swings in the opposite direction. Do you feel weak, lost or broken down? If you are at the end of your rope, you are at the point where God's strength can shine through most brightly. Be uplifted! "He gives strength for the weary and increases the power of the weak" (Isaiah 40:29).

No comments:

Post a Comment