Thursday, November 12, 2009

Anything to Belong

Matthew 23:5 and Genesis 25:29-34
I was thinking back to my Jr. High days this morning and was overwhelmed with some of the feelings I had back then. There were fears, rejections, joys, hormonal changes, different schools, zits, etc. But I cannot think of anything that trumped the need for acceptance. I would have given anything to be liked by the other students who were doing anything to be liked themselves.
I used to scoff at a story in the Bible about a man who sold his inheritance for a bowl of soup (Genesis 25:29-34). How sort-sighted of him! Who could possibly be that hungry, or impulsive for that matter? Answer: a Jr. High student taking a joint from an acquaintance.
As an adult I am tempted to look at these things from an adult perspective and I forget how easy it is to get sucked in to all kinds of things for the sake of acceptance. I say things like, I would never smoke a joint! And I bet many Jr. Highers who smoke them now said similar things a year ago. When that acquaintance hands them marijuana they are handing them acceptance, and for far too many a foggy brain or addiction is a small price to pay for friends. Does not teen sexuality work the same way--especially with girls?
The uncomfortable question for us adults is how far have we come from that need for acceptance? Honestly, how often do we do the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do? I wonder what percentage of our deeds are done to impress "good" people who in turn are trying to impress other people with their good deeds? If Sr. High boys can try to impress each other by exaggerating their sexual prowess cannot I fall prey to the same temptation only for goodness?
Jesus said of the religious leaders he knew, "Everything the do is done for men to see." (Matthew 23:5a) May that not be true of you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment