Monday, November 23, 2009

Faith that Pleases God (part 1)

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly see him.
 I used to think that the mere fact I wasn't an atheist qualified as pleasing to God. But an enormous amount of light opened my eyes when I placed emphasis this way: anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists.


There are many concepts of God in the world today. There are big differences between the way Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, Muslims, Native Americans and others portray God. But God is not pleased with false portraits. He is pleased only when we believe he exists the way he has revealed himself to us through the Scriptures.

I was a huge Michael Jordan fan in High School. If I were in a conversation with two people and one of them did not know who he is I would need to describe him to help his understanding. What if I described him as 5'11'' with curly hair, white skin, funny, a regular on Saturday Night Live, star of a couple of movies, etc? It stands to reason that the third person in our conversation would object to my description and say I was describing Will Farrel, the comedian actor. He would think I didn't know who MJ was at all.

The point is that if we want to make up our own idea of God then we cannot please God because God does not put up with false representations. Now, it is at this point we Christians can straighten up and say, yes, we have the proper understanding! But, many times I question the validity of that statement.

The Bible reveals a God who is present everywhere at the same time (Psalm 139). If we believe this how is it that we swear around some people, but not around pastors? Or when we watch certain movies with some people and not with others? Is not God present with us no matter whom we are with? For untold numbers of Christians, God lives at the church building and never comes out.

We say we believe in a God who is all wise (Romans 11:33). But do we consult that wisdom when we make decisions? Or, do we make decisions and then ask him to bless them after the fact?
God is pleased when we come to know him as he is, not as we want him to be. Let us pursue that understanding!
What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.                                 -Paul, Missionary and Apostle, Philippians 3:8

No comments:

Post a Comment