Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When the Novelty Wears Off

Galatians 6:9

I love to write, but something has happened lately that I never thought would happen. I have grown to dread the "new post" button on Blogger. When something wonderful becomes a chore there is a certain sense of loss that occurs and there seems no way around it.

This fact is universal. Everyone experiences that rush of excitement when they try something new. But as with anything that has to be done with some regularity, it can descend  into drudgery before you know it. Why is this so?

One of the things I know separates those of us who persevere from those of us who quit is the ability to recall the original reason(s) we started in the first place. Another characteristic of those who stick with it is a determination to not let feelings rule their lives. Feelings come and go but we have to learn that doing the best thing rarely feels fun or exciting.

Wow, Jason, you're a real bummer today! I don't mean to be. I'm going to hit the "publish" button on this post because I've got an inkling that I'm not the only one that's ever felt this way. You may not have struggled with writing, but what about reading the Bible? What about dragging yourself out of bed on Sunday morning? I've wondered if my writing makes a difference; you wonder if your prayers make a difference.

Here are a couple of things that keep me going:
1. Writing for the Lord and not for Facebookers (Colossians 3:23).
2. Knowing that tomorrow's entry may bring me great joy.
3. Reminding myself that a whole lot of people need more grace in their lives.

So, when the novelty wears off just remember that there's a small town blogger out there who understands. It's worth it, especially if you do it for the Lord.


"Let us not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a 
harvest if we do not give up."

1 comment:

  1. thank you for persevering. i have been able to chew on and ponder many of the posts and verses you've shared. though i didn't think i would have time, i've read every day and look forward to it! it also gives me a little more insight into the great things God is teaching you (and indirectly Amy), and that is valuable to me because of my love for you both.

    ReplyDelete