Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Peter's Eggs

Psalm 119:97-100

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for the are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your [word]. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. 

I made eggs for Peter this morning and what a time we had. I crafted them with the greatest of care and presented them to him on our finest pea green plastic saucer. To my chagrin he turned his nose up at them when I tried to fork them into his mouth. Monster! I determined to remain calm and tried again. My persistence paid of to the extent I got them into his mouth for approximately "2 Mississippi." Out they came again!

Then he smiled at me with sparkling eyes and clapped. He enthusiastically yelled, "DA DA!" And then proceeded to pick them up off his tray and eat them all by himself. I sighed, shrugged and started forking the eggs onto his tray instead. He devoured them by the fistful. It seems Peter loves to feed himself, thank you very much.

How about you? Are you a self-feeder when it comes to the Word of God? Howard Hendricks wrote Living by the Book, a very good guide to learning how to study the Bible for yourself. In it he says that the first hurdle anyone has to overcome in self feeding is learning how to read. Really. He asserts we don't read well enough and we should practice as much as we can. Reading, like so many things may come more naturally to some than to others, but nowhere do we read in Scripture that only the "readers" are to read. So how's your self-feeding going?



Note: Those of you with keen eyes will notice that eggs aren't blue. Yes, this pic is of blueberry pancakes, but I think you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment