Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I Dare you to Trust My God

Hebrews 10:23
I worked on a project with my grandfather the last time we went to Colorado as a family. When I presented him with my idea for a wooden box for our mantle he liked the idea so much that he selected one of his choicest pieces of maple for the task. It would be just a little too shallow for a facial tissue box to hide, but definitely long and wide enough. The box would serve as a memorial of God's faithfulness to our family containing pictures, letters and a notebook to record accounts of "God moments."

The project took all week. I loved watching him use his skill and wished I had some of the knowledge he had. One of the decisions we had to make was on the styling of the Bible verse on the front. I had selected Hebrews 10:23 as the reference, but it seemed like a difficult cut. My grandfather asked if another verse would do, but I was reluctant to give it up. He asked what the verse said and I quoted it for him, "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." He agreed that there could be no other verse.

My aim is to teach my children by example that I'm willing to wager everything I've got for the promises of God. This means giving when I don't think I have enough; this means going when I don't think I can go; serving when I don't think I can serve; and believing when I don't think I can believe. Yes we must be wise. Yes we must count the cost. Yes we must be shrewd. But, I'm convinced we really haven't felt the weight of faith until we've heard a few people tell us we're crazy.

Who do you trust? What foundation lies under your faith? We all have faith in something. I'll place my faith in God. I dare you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment