Tuesday, December 01, 2009

What we take for Granted

Psalm 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of his benefits.
Health is something easily taken for granted until you get sick. My family contracted the stomach flu over the Thanksgiving holiday and we are just now getting back on our feet. I now have a deeper sympathy for those who spend their days horizontal. As I drove back from the school bus stop this morning I had some time to reflect. Why is it so easy to take the simple things for granted?

Here is a short list of things that are wonderfully true for me but not true for so many around the world:
I have a wife and three children that I love, and they love me.
I have heat in my residence.
I have food in my pantry.
I had a choice of coats to wear to work this morning.
I had friends call to wish me a speedy recovery.
I can lawfully own multiple copies of the Bible.
Water comes from the faucets I turn on.
My car started this morning.
I can see and hear.
I have the hope of salvation.
I have all my limbs and appendages.
My body fights infections.

What would your list look like? I chose twelve in the spirit of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment