Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thanks for the Rain

1 Thessalonians 5:18
It's raining here in Whiting, NJ and it won't reach sixty degrees today. My back is stiff and the coffee isn't knocking the sleepiness out of me as fast as I'd like. I'm trying to get myself in a good state of mind to face the day.

Some people let just about any adversity get them down. Others seem to roll with whatever comes their way. I want to be like some of the seven year old boys on my soccer team who think rainy games are just as good as sunny ones.

The Bible tells us to "give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thess. 5:18) and rainy days make application difficult for some of us. But rainy days seem mild compared with the bigger problems in life. We suffer from illnesses, family problems, flat tires when we're late for work, etc. and sometimes we just want to be miserable. But, the point Paul makes is not that life is always fun, or we should run around shouting for joy in the streets when our house goes into foreclosure, he is merely stating that no matter what we are going through-- no matter how hard it gets--there are always things to thank God for. In fact, there are things we would never think to be thankful for if not for the trials of life. For example, it is the rain outside my window that makes me thankful for  the warmth and dryness that comes with a roof over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment